"The place where something has always happened for over 1000 years"

 Back to the homepage


Exhibitions in Tatabánya Museum

The Museum has several permanent and temporary exhibitions in three locations. In 1998 it was awarded the title "Museum of the Year 1997".

Specialist areas, basic activities:

The museum's primary task is the collection, restoration, research and presentation of material covering the county's industrial, economic and educational past, as well as archaelogical, ethnographical, local historical and photographic material related to Tatabánya and surroundings.

The following are the most important parts of the collection which now comprises more than 100,000 objects: local history (and within this lifstyle-history), history of schools, industrial history (and within this the history of mining), numismatics, archeology photography.

The county's largest museum photo archive is held by the Tatabánya Museum. The archeology collection was established in 1992 and has continued to expand over the years, thanks in large part to material support from the town of Tatabánya.

Information: +36 34 310 495

The Tatabánya Museum Centre (Szent Borbála Square):

Seat of the town directorate, permanent and temporary exhibition halls, central storeroom and library.

(Photos: István Dallos)



Tatabánya and surroundings from prehistoric times to 1947, the foundation of the town.

South American Indian Collection of Lajos Boglár.

The Tatabánya Museum's School Museum (Gellért Square):

The County's school history exhibitions were established in this former school in 1987. The permanent exhibition includes objects from county and local education, furnishings from the original classroom (1920-30s), the school corridor and equipment store. This was the first museum to start the serial examination of the history of objects.

The Tatabánya Museum's Open-air Museum of Mining (Vágóhíd street)

The Industrial Outdoor Museum (opened: 1988) is the first open-air display established in its natural environment in Hungary which authentically presents not the peasant way of life and work but that of industrial workers, primarily miners.

The works around the "old" No. 15 shaft have been preserved to look as they did when in day-to-day operation.

The old mine manager's office, mining engineering section and mineral exhibition are sited in the office building.

Memorials to those who died in mining accidents are collected together in the historical memorial park.

A new feature is the copy of the first Tatabánya slope-shaft entranceway and connecting underground mine galleries, complemented by the mining machinery set up outside.

An old housing block - characteristic of the Tatabánya mine colonies - was restored and opened in 1996; here one can get an idea of the conditions the different mining communities lived in. The flats (each authentically furnished) trace life from the turn of the century to the 1940s.

Following further restoration of other equipment and facilities, a cultural and leisure park will be established on the site of the old mine.

Pithead at the Industrial Outdoor Museum


Open-air machinery with old miner's house in the background

(Photos: István Dallos)


All rights reserved! Copyright 2003.